Call us now ! Send us an email Lee Blvd Lawton United States

Back to Top


A Guide To Registrations For New Oklahoma Residents

Multiethnic family moving home
When moving to Oklahoma, you will have to take care of several items of business once you're in the state. If you're planning a move to Oklahoma sometime soon, here's a guide to the legal technicalities you'll have to take care of after your move.
Register and Title Your Vehicles
First, you'll need to register and title all vehicles that you own. Even though they're already registered and titled in another state, the documentation must be transferred to Oklahoma. You have up to 30 days after moving to do register your cars, and don't forget to do it for all motor vehicles that you own, including seasonal coupes, RVs, or motorcycles.
To register and title a vehicle in Oklahoma, you must first purchase an auto insurance policy that at least meets the state's minimum coverage requirements. Assuming you're moving from another state and have coverage through a national insurer, updating your insurance usually just requires updating your address with your insurer. Once your insurance is updated, you'll need to furnish:
  • Proof of your identity
  • Proof that you own the vehicle
  • A completed application form
  • Payment of all applicable fees
You may also need to provide lien documentation and/or a mileage disclosure statement. Respectively, these are required for vehicles that have loans on them and are less than 10 years old.
Oklahoma doesn't have a state safety or emissions inspection, so you don't need to worry about getting such an inspection after registering your vehicles. The only inspection done is a VIN check, and it's typically completed at the time of registration.
Register to Vote
When transferring your vehicle registrations, you ought to register so you can vote in the next election. Even if you don't intend to vote, you can still register. Registration doesn't compel you to vote in any elections, but it ensures that you'll have the opportunity to when elections occur. Registration applies to local, state, and national elections.
When registering to vote, you'll need to decide whether you want to be a member of any political party. Oklahoma has a closed primary system, which means only party members can vote in their party's primaries. However, everyone who's registered can vote in elections, which are distinct from primaries.
Register Any Motor Boats You Own
Third, you may need to register boats if you own any. Commercial boats, or larger boats that regularly go on Oklahoma waters, and boats with a motor over 10 horsepower must be registered. Registration isn't necessary for smaller boats, such as rowboats, kayaks, canoes, and paddle boats.
Registering a boat is simpler than registering a motor vehicle because there's no insurance requirement or mileage disclosure. You'll have to provide proof of identity, proof of ownership, an application form, and payment for all fees.
Get Fishing and Hunting Licenses
Fourth, if you're into outdoor sporting, make sure that you get fishing and/or hunting licenses before you seek out any wildlife. Fishing and hunting seasons vary by species, and some licenses are for specific species while others (e.g. fishing licenses) cover multiple species.
To find out what licenses you need, talk with local outdoor sports enthusiasts or a company that specializes in registrations. Registration specialists are also familiar with the state's licensing requirements.
Register Any Dogs You Have
Finally, you might need to register dogs if you have any. Canine registration requirements vary by county and municipality, so you'll have to check your local requirements. A registration specialist can also assist with finding all the right requirements, as they'll know what documents to check or offices to contact for you.
If you need help with any of these registrations, contact us at Motor Vehicle Tag Agency.